Saturday, May 03, 2014

Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Switch Coffeemaker

$18.99 on Amazon
An inexpensive option for a decent cup of coffee

Pros: Inexpensive, Easy to Operate, Easy to Clean
Cons: None really if you expect to get what you paid for
3 1/2 stars out of 5

I've got a thing for coffeemakers, I admit it.  I've probably gone through a dozen over the years and still I search for the one coffeemaker that will make me a great cup of coffee.  Some have come pretty close and some have been pretty awful.  The newest in my collection, the Mr. Coffee 12-cup Switch Coffeemaker replaces the Cuisinart thermal 4-cup coffeemaker I've been using for a while.

Basics

This coffeemaker does not have the bells and whistles of some models.  It is a 12-cup coffeemaker with a glass carafe.  There is no programming to this model, the switch merely turns it on or off.  The only 'special feature (which I think all models have now) is that there is the brew and pause feature which lets you get coffee before the entire pot has brewed.  The heating element will stay on until you turn it off (this model isn't even fancy enough to have an auto-shutoff feature).  The coffeemaker is basically all plastic inside and a few pieces do seem a bit flimsy, but so far I haven't had any problems.

Getting Ready & Brewing Coffee 

Setting up this coffeemaker was a snap.  I unpacked it, washed out the glass carafe and washed the removable plastic parts.  I also took a warm cloth and wiped the interior of it.  I also run it once with just water to let it self-clean a bit.

When that was done, I put in the water, fitted the coffee filter in, added my coffee and turned the switch on.  The coffee brews quickly enough and I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised at the overall quality of the coffee that this coffeemaker brewed.  The coffee was hot and well rounded and the heating element keeps that coffee hot for as long as you want (one reason I really disliked the 4-cup coffeemaker this one replaced).  I brewed a full 10 cups on that first run, but since then have brewed smaller amounts and in general there is not really a change in quality between small runs and larger, full pot runs.

Cleanup is easy.  Pull out the coffee filter holder and rinse it, wash the carafe and wipe down the interior parts of the machine that can't be taken out.  I've been using it now for a few weeks without any problems.

Final Thoughts

I'm fairly certain I'll be getting another coffeemaker in the future, but for now, the Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Switch Coffeemaker meets my needs and makes a decent cup of coffee for a machine that sells for under $20.  If you are looking for an inexpensive coffeemaker that makes a good cup of coffee, you could do a lot worse than this machine.  I'd have no problem recommending it.

No comments: