Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cobra XRS 9960G Radar Detector

Several years back I had a radar detector that I used fairly regularly as I was traveling around Massachusetts and the northeast frequently and liked the extra measure of alertness that it gave me. I've never been one to speed like crazy, but I know during a long drive, I can let the pedal go down a bit more than I'd think it was and be speeding along, especially considering how fast traffic seems to move on highways nowadays. That said, a few years back I had sold the unit in a yard sale because I just wasn't driving around as much and I didn't see much use for it, plus I always worried that just having a unit on my windshield would make me a mark for police.

When I got the chance to review the Cobra XRS 9960G Radar Detector though, I was interested. Interested to see how radar detectors have changed and to see how my driving habits had changed. If anything, I knew I drove a bit faster now than I did several years back - chalk it up to having a better vehicle.

So when the XRS 9960G arrived, I was actually quite surprised at all the functionality packed into this device. My original radar detector picked up a few radar bands and laser frequencies. The XRS 9960G on the other hand can pick up 15 different bands (radar and laser), provides safety alerts, gives you information on your vehicle, has a full-color display, talks to you (in addition to the more standard beeps) and thanks to the GPS database provided by the AURA service, lets you know about traffic cameras, speed traps and dangerous intersections. The GPS also lets you know the direction you're heading in, your ground speed and your latitude and longitude.

Read my full review of the Cobra XRS 9960G Radar Detector on Epinions

No comments: