Sunday, September 05, 2010

Jocks: True Stories of America's Gay Male Athletes by Dan Woog

There are few books that I have trouble reading or make me cringe as I read, but unfortunately Jocks: True Stories of America's Gay Male Athletes by Dan Woog was one of those books. Perhaps it is because the book seems so dated or the writing style. Whatever it is though, this book is like a snapshot of specific time period, which thankfully seems to be receding. Sure there is still plenty of homophobia and hatred in the world, but for a lot of what Woog talks about, times really have changed.

The book focuses on the lives of a number of "gay jocks" in the early to mid-1990s. Woog tells their stories of how they came to realize and deal with their sexuality. In most cases, it is downright depressing with tales of drug use, anonymous sex and plenty of other destructive behavior. There are some positive stories, but by the time I had forced myself to read this book, I think I felt more depressed than anything else. The lives of some of these people were horrible, partly from their own internalized homophobia, but also from the homophobia and fear that surrounded them in their various sports.

Read my full review of Jocks: True Stories of America's Gay Male Athletes by Dan Woog on Epinions

No comments: