Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Garmin Forerunner 405 Wireless GPS-Enabled Sport Watch with USB ANT Stick and Heart Rate Monitor

I have been looking for an easy way to log hiking distances and watch my heart rate.  I have tried heart rate monitors and hand held GPS units in the past, but I really was looking for one simple device that would take care of my needs.  That is where the Garmin Forerunner 405 comes in.  This wrist-watch sized device is a GPS unit that can accurately track you as you hike, bike or run.  In addition with the heart rate monitor, it tracks and displays your heart rate as you are exercising.  Plus in addition to that, the Forerunner lets you see information like your total trip time and distance and offers various training options and when you get home, you download all that information to visual your hike, jog or bike ride in ways that you never could before.

While the device is geared towards runners and joggers with its virtual partner and training modes, I have found it to be a great companion to have on my hikes.  The watch logs my information and when I get home, the Forerunner automatically connects to my computer, downloads my information and has it waiting for me on the Garmin Connect site.  Once there, I can analyze my trip with maps, minute to minute heart rate information, distance, time and pace information and information about elevation gains and losses.

No comments: